Wednesday, September 19, 2007

AutoZone is So COOL!

I have gotten things from AutoZone because they are in my neighborhood. Little did I know how cool a store it is. This is a long story, but I will try to edit it. A couple years ago a friend of mine told me that she had heard that if your "Check Engine" light goes on, you should try to replace the gas cap. Sounds corny, I know, but we did it when the light came on and it worked! Cool. Then we dropped the gas cap and I don't think the codes were "cleared" anyway, so it came back on. It was a problem that actually, I think, had to do with the gas cap. The EVAC system, I think. Anyway, so I get my DMV renewal in the mail and I need to get it smogged. Well, the "Check Engine" light is on again, ever since then. The smog station I called said it is an automatic fail if your check engine light is on. So, how much to diagnose the problem? $89. Which you can put toward the cost of repair. Great. I don't have the money to put toward repair. Dad just did the service, so everything is good. Except for this !@?!#* light. I mean, the check engine light. So, since we had gone to AutoZone and they had a caliper set for the brake pad repair, Scott said to call them and see if they loan out the diagnostic meter. It turns out they DO! You give them a credit card and driver's license and you may use it in the parking lot. Which we did. This thing is so easy to use. Put the new gas cap on, checked the codes (they were all related to this), reset the codes and VOILA! The check engine light is off! THANK YOU GOD! So, the manual said that if the problem still exists, then the light will go back on after three engine cycles. I'm thinking this is three trips with the car on. So we went straight home last night after the AutoZone trip and I went straight to the Smog Check station this morning. No light. The tech moved it to the right spot for the test. No light. It passed! THANK YOU GOD, AGAIN!

So, to make a long story endless, AutoZone is way cool because they twice have saved me all kinds of money by having the tools I needed and it didn't cost me anything.

So, thank you, AutoZone and Thank you GOD! Because it would have cost me a fortune to have a service repair shop come up with the same conclusion. And it passed! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone has someone who cares about them....how about your kids....the guy in the picture......even I do....cause I'm a part time working mom running my own business from home....check it out if you ever have the time (I know I have 4 kids...but they are getting older) www.independentachievement.com and have a fabulous, peaceful and funny week! Scarlet

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!