Wednesday, October 03, 2007

My Nephew Could Have Been A Statistic

Jessica and I are going to do the Walk for Life, for the SCV Pregnancy Center. On Saturday. To help unborn babies and those whose mothers decide to bring them to term. To save babies. This is such a touchy subject. Personally, I believe the choice is made before you get pregnant. After that, the baby has a right to live. Whether you keep that baby or give it up, that is another choice, but the baby doesn't deserve to die. My belief. Others don't necessarily agree. I can still love them and understand their beliefs. God still loves them, although He may want what He knows to be better for them. Because there are so many potential mothers that live with the guilt for many years afterward. But I digress. We are going to walk. The Pregnancy Center does not have an "agenda", other than giving moms choices. Choices they may not realize they have or they may not know who to turn to.

The director of the Pregnancy Center met with The Hubby and me when he was doing his report last semester. On people in the church who may have a crisis. Like an unplanned pregnancy. Each student was to pick a different type of crisis, such as terminal cancer, a death in the family, marital issues, etc. The Hubby picked the Pregnancy Center and they were so gracious! We went together to meet with the director and at that time she told us about the Walk For Life in October. So we became the contacts for our church.

This is a subject that is very close to my heart. I am my nephew's godmother. He could have been one of those statistics. My sister tried for several years to have a second child, only to finally turn to adoption as the option they chose. They found a group that specializes in foster to adoption through the state or maybe it was the county. Anyway, they got on the list and waited. And waited. Eventually, they got a call. To come and pick up their baby. A baby boy had been dropped off at a fire station and they could come to the hospital and get him. How cool is that! He had apparently been born at home and he had a shoelace tied around the umbilical cord. The person who dropped him off gave no information. My sister and BIL got to name him and everything! He was, I believe, three days old when they got him!

If the mother of that child had opted for abortion, we would not have the amazing little boy that is my nephew and godson.

So we will walk. I am actively seeking donations for the walk. :-) If you would like to support me, please let me know and I will give you my email address at your blog, or if I know you, just email me! Thanks!

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I don't know how many other states have California's "safe baby" law but they all should.