Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Grandma

Speaking with my aunt recently about my Grandma, I started reminiscing about the day I took a trip with my grandma, Aurlette, to downtown Los Angeles several years ago. We spent the day together at the jewelry mart and just doing girl stuff. My grandmother loved to shop. No, really. Other people like to go shopping. She thrived on it. She would get dressed up, usually in a pantsuit, matching shoes, lovely purse, jewels on her fingers, matching sunglasses, sometimes with a scarf, and be ready to go out. A day out shopping with Grandma was A DAY OUT! And going out to a nice restaurant for lunch was a necessity.

I don't really remember if we went looking for something specific or if we were just looking, but Grandma found this ring. Well, actually, a ring guard for her wedding ring. It was, well, HUGE! Beautiful, with diamonds all around. Lots of gold and many, many small diamonds all over. Grandma was hesitant to buy it. She absolutely fell in love with it, but it was expensive.
So, she hesitated. I knew she really loved it. She didn't buy it at first, because it was a lot of money, but we came back to the booth later, after we shopped around a bit more. She SO wanted to get this! I reminded her that a.) you only live once and b.) we probably would not be back to the Jewelry Mart for quite some time and it would probably not be available again. So, she swore me to secrecy as to how much she paid for it and she bought it! She had it sized there and was able to wear it home that day. She loved wearing it! Such an extravagant purchase, but it suited her so well. My grandma, my mother and I all have large hands and as such, we can wear large rings. Lots of gold and stones. With her original wedding ring in place in the center, this just dazzled!

I poked around the jewelry mart that day while we were waiting for her ring to be done. I found a pair of beautiful dark purple teardrop shaped amethysts. About (I am guessing here) 8 carats each. They are huge! About 1/2 long each. Beautiful rich purple. I could not afford to have the stones set, so I was going to just buy the stones and have them set later. Grandma reminded me that we would probably not be back soon, so she offered to pay for one stone and setting, so that I could get them done. I still have these earrings and they are beautiful! And a fun reminder of that day.

We picked up her ring and left the jewelry mart. Boy did we feel like princesses! Then we went to a restaurant that she had always told me about. She said it was called the "Tex", so I was picturing an old fashioned bbq place, sawdust on the floor, etc. I couldn't have been more wrong! Le Freres Taix French Restaurant is a beautiful, fancy FRENCH restaurant! Linen tablecloths, beautiful wood decor, and it has been there since 1927! Was I in for a shock! It was wonderful. My grandma and grandpa had gone there often over the years and she was excited for me to share the experience. It was lovely. The food was delicious and we enjoyed each others company. Such a lovely day! My grandma was a beautiful person, inside and out. She was so very generous and she was always able to find something good, whether it was a person or a situation. She really did look at the bright side of life! She was always so full of life and cheerful. I am so glad that I have these wonderful memories of her!

3 comments:

Sandy said...

She was definitely a shopper extroidinaire - made a pretty serious hobby out of it, right? I love hearing about how much fun you both had that day and am glad you encouraged her to get something she got so much pleasure from. Hugs!

jennie said...

seems like she was a very special lady, and I'm glad that you have cherished those memories

AJ said...

I miss my grandma. I wish she was here. I wish my mom was here too. We always had so much fun together. They would have enjoyed spending time with the girls.