Thursday, October 26, 2006

A good day.

Well, yesterday was Wednesday. I felt like baking. It was cool outside. VERY windy. But I needed to do schoolwork with Jess, and Scott had no clean shirts. Not even grey or brown. So I had to do laundry. So, I got up with him at 4am and started his laundry at 4:30 when he left. Washed his clothes (2 loads) and girls clothes (also 2 loads) over the course of the day. Folded and hung and put away. Worked with Jess on schoolwork. She needed to practice her letters. She has a hard time putting the letters in the right place within the lined paper. So, we worked on making perfect letters. Then, she wanted "Recess", so after about an hour and a half of intense writing and doing her workbook, they got dressed and went in the backyard. She loves to put her tennis shoes on now. She ties her shoes all by herself and also ties Bekah's. Pretty cute. So, off they go outside. Well, I was able to squeeze in some baking, too. While she worked on her letters and then when they went outside and for the rest of the day, I baked and cooked. I made my Grandma's potato salad recipe. But I didn't read until after I made it that the potatoes are supposed to be steamed and not boiled. Oh well. I thought it came out well. I never made it before. So, then I had one potato that got too soft. Couldn't use it in the potato salad. Well, I mashed it up and made mashed potato out of it. Which is precisely what you need for homemade potato rolls. Which I made. Which turned out delicious. Which take forever to rise. Which meant I had plenty of time to make pumpkin pie. Which I did. OKAY, ENOUGH!

So, I made potato salad, pumpkin pie and potato rolls. I was going to make something with peaches in it. Peach season is officially over. How sad! We went out on Tuesday to pick peaches and found out they were all gone. But the guy was nice enough to send me to the orchard behind his to see if they had any left. Turns out they did! Already picked. The guy told me I could put as many in a large paper grocery bag as I could fit in the bag for ten dollars. I took one look at these peaches and I couldn't believe my eyes! "These are HUGE!" I said. Well, he explained that these were actually small compared to the ones he had during the peak of the season. He said they were weighing in at two and a half pounds PER PEACH! The ones I got were at least double the size of the ones I have been getting all season. HUGE! I am going back to this place. My bag of peaches was at least 40 pounds. For ten dollars. Not bad at all! I am definitely going back to this place! Oh, and they are SOOO good, too. I am looking forward to Spring now. Cherries, peaches, apples....

Hubby went to church last night, so my day was longer than usual. I got all that stuff made AND washed up every dirty dish that I used. Kitchen table and bar counter are still clean. Yeah for me! And I borrowed the original three Star Wars movies from Zachary's dad, so I watched Star Wars and half of Empire Strikes Back while I baked and cleaned. It's been so long since I have seen those. I just love Princess Leah's hair. Those big cinnamon rolls on the sides of her head. WHAT were they thinking? The movie makes a lot more sense now, though. The comments about the senate and other things make much more sense when you have seen the first three movies.

The girls weren't able to stay up long enough to see Daddy. Rebekah came over to me while I was sitting down watching the movie. "Can you hold me?" She climbed up in my lap and told me I am the best food maker ever! Usually, I am the best mommy ever. But I'll take food maker, too. She loved the rolls. Had two. Then fell asleep in my lap. Maybe she was talking about the hot dog she had for dinner, though. She loved that, too. Jess was diplomatic and said the potato salad was good. She ate two hot dogs and had pumpkin pie for dessert. She didn't like the rolls. She said if they were sweeter, she would like them. Everyone's a critic.

Jess lasted about an hour longer, then succumbed to sleep as well. When their daddy got home, he got to peek in on the beautiful little sleeping faces.

A good day. Happy children, clean house. Baked goods. Does it get better than this?

1 comment:

joannmski said...

What!? the house is still clean??

How does that happen?