Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Eternity

I was reading a blog today that made me sad. It reminded me of different passings in my life. I lost my mother a year and a half ago. That was difficult. We knew it was coming. She was not in good health. We also knew where she was going, that she would have a new body and she would be healthy and that made her passing much easier to bear. My father-in-law died two days after Jessica, my 5 1/2 year old was born. My husband still gets emotional. He loved his father so much and was devastated when he passed away. But, there again, we know we will see him again and he will be in a new body. Both of them died peacefully.

My friend's father died several years ago. He was an atheist all of his life. Denied that there was any existence of God. Wanted nothing to do with religion. Wanted to make money, left his wife for a new wife, lived a hard life. Lived life on his terms. Unfortunately for him, his death was not on his terms. He left this world shrieking and pulling at his hair. I shudder to think what he may have seen. I am thankful to God that I never will find out.

You see bumper stickers and such that say things about you being wrong and it being an eternity in hell. It's true. So what if there really is no God. I know there is, but what if? Okay, well, I led a better life because of my faith in God. I am a stronger person because of my faith in God. I know where I will be going because of my faith in God. But what about you? Do you believe there is a God? Do you know where you are going? What if I am right and you are not? This is eternity we are talking about. And that is permanent! The thought that people I love may not be going to Heaven because they did not choose God saddens me. There is no fence-riding on this one. If you do not CHOOSE God, then He will not allow you into Heaven. It is not whether or not you are bad or choose the devil. But if you are not on God's side, there is only one alternative. There is no gray area. Our society likes to soften everything, make it more palatable, more accepted. But God's Word is very clear. It is Him or eternal hell. No other choices. I hope and pray that those I love choose to go to heaven. It is Eternity. That is forever.

1 comment:

Jewels said...

Jolly thought for the season. ;)
I know what you mean, Grandpa passed on the 24th and his birthday is soon, so I think about him with Kyle, watching Sesame Street in my Mom's house in Castaic and the joy he has now.

I'll never be sorry for the things I have chosen that lead me to Him. Eternity is our destination, the rest of all this world has to offer is just the ride on the way there.