Monday, June 23, 2008

So, we have this wine...

I know very, very little about wine. Like, some are red, some are white, some are sweet and some are not. That about covers it. Well, last night we had some people over from church. So our priest's wife and I go into the family room to see if we have any wines that look appealing. I start reading off names to her and she says, "No, that's sweet...no, that's sweet." I said, "Silver Oak". She says, "That is an expensive wine!" Apparently they had this particular wine at the home of some people that know wine and it was good. And expensive. We picked it up at a winery in Las Vegas, I believe it was the wine cellar at the Rio (where we got married) when we were there several years ago. Not knowing what was good, we asked them for a recommendation and that is what we ended up with. Two bottles. I doubt that it cost more than $20 per bottle. We would not have spent that much. Like I said, I don't know much about wine. So, we opened it last night and I sent her home with the little bit that was left. It was good. Very good. No bitterness, no wierd flavors. I don't usually like wines that are not sweet, but this was very good. So, for fun, I just now pulled it up on the internet. 1993 Silver Oak Cabarnet. Okay, the three prices I found were $115, $150 and $169.99. One place had it for $266.99!!! I about fell on the floor. I think that is funny. I am glad that someone who really enjoys red wine got to enjoy it. We will have to save the other bottle for some special occasion. Funny. Cheers, my friend!

2 comments:

joannmski said...

Amazing!!! It was really delicious too. It was a super super find in your stash!!!

Sandy said...

Invest in wine? $20 to $200+ is a pretty good return on your $$$ but I guess you have to drink the profits. We're trying to remember to have a glass with dinner but have such pansy mouths - something red and sweet for me.