Thursday, May 18, 2006

Another one bites the dust...

We caught gopher number two yesterday. Yeah for us. I am not normally so ruthless toward God's creatures, and I can see how gophers are good as far as irrigating the soil and such, but I can't help doing the little "I Won" cheer when I catch one. This one started in on my lawn and now I have two holes in my lawn. And I have been working so hard at that! So, he had to go. Set the trap with gloves again and Scott found him yesterday. So the score is Amy 2, Gophers 0. Plus, I don't want gopher snakes or rattlesnakes looking for lunch. Last year a mojave green rattlesnake got in our back yard and bit our then two month old german shepherd puppy. After close to $2000 of treatment, she was fine. The year before, my neighbors caught and killed a mojave green on my slope, right where the gophers are hanging around now. So I don't want to invite any more snakes into my yard.

I think the worst is over and now at least I know how to catch them. Hopefully this is not something that happens every year now. I wonder if they are attracted by all the flowers I worked so hard to plant this year...

1 comment:

glorygrl said...

You built them a sald bar. Now you expect them not to drop by for a bite?

Have you found any gopher-resistant plants to keep them at bay?