Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Gopher



Okay, apparently what we have here is a pocket gopher. Other people's gophers are huge! This one is slightly larger than a hamster, but not as cute. Not really cute at all, when you get to see it up close, which we did when I pulled out a trap with the little bugger in it. Yeah! I got him! Scott was home that morning and I went out to check the traps. Not expecting to find anything. Well, the trap had been sprung, so I went back in the house and told him to come out and get it, "Cause I think I got a gopher!" So, he comes out and we both got to look at it. "What if it is just knocked unconscious?" So Scott smacks it on the head about five or six times with the big metal thing we had attached to the trap so it wouldn't run away. No, it's dead. But look at those claws and teeth! For such a little guy he had huge claws and teeth. Good thing I didn't have to deal with him while he was alive!

Jess came outside and we showed him to her. She went "Aaaaah!", then took a closer look. She's not afraid of this stuff!

Well, I reset the traps just in case and figured I was done. Then I came inside to announce to the blogging community that we had caught our gopher.

I wasn't. Yesterday I went out there to water and found a new patch of soft dirt. !#@*!@ gophers! Two new holes on the slope. SO, I set the trap in one of these and we'll hope for the best. My gopher troubles are here to stay...but I will get him eventually.

Scott watched a few minutes of Caddyshack last night on TV. It's funny when it is happening to someone else.

1 comment:

Amy said...

You know it. Uh-huh.