Saturday, July 08, 2006

Things From the Past

I got a letter in the mail today. From an investigator in Florida wanting me to mail something to the District Court in Los Angeles. A statement saying I was not the person who was sexually assaulted in February 1996. Apparently the document was written incorrectly and it showed me as being the first AND third victim.

In September, 1995, one week before my birthday, a man broke into my apt and did disgusting things while I slept. He cut the window screen, climbed in through the window, unplugged my phone from the telephone, but not the wall (this makes all other lines go dead), unplugged my nightlights, moved my cordless phone off my bed and locked the door on the way out. I didn't realize until I woke up at 5:00am or so that someone had been there. It took me an hour to convince myself that someone had indeed been there and to call the cops. The only thing missing was a kitchen knife with a five inch blade from the butcher block. I didn't realize at this time that he had performed lascivious acts on my bed while I slept. The cops told me that this doesn't happen in this neighborhood and it had to be someone I knew. I then proceeded to question and fear every man I knew, until I found out who it was.

Needless to say, I did not stay at the apt for the next two weeks. When I did go back, I returned during the day and then left again, then returned at ten o'clock or so for the night. Well, upon my return at ten o'clock, I found a note on the door from the same guy, describing in detail what he wanted to do "for" me, and, if I was interested, to leave the door open and he would be there at eleven o'clock. He knew I had returned because he had been watching. I hightailed it to the sheriff's dept and gave them the note. I never returned to the apt. except to move my things. I spent the next six months in fear for my life, thinking I was being followed, or watched. I didn't know where this guy was or who he was. The second victim, about four months later, was in the shower when he broke in and stole credit cards and watched her. In February, I was very relieved to find out that he had been caught, but, unfortunately for the third victim, his crimes became much more violent. There were numerous sexual counts against him after he cut the phone line outside her apt and she woke up to a guy on top of her. At the trial, in which I testified against him, he got twenty seven years.

This was not one of the highlights of my life. However, even during this time, God was watching out for me. Aside from the emotional trauma, I escaped unharmed. That was enough.

At the time this all happened, my boss had two of the guys at my job help me move. They didn't want to. Someone at the place I worked decided I was lying and had made all of this up to get attention. Huh? I never really understood that one. I guess since it sounds a bit far-fetched, but it was all true and I had to defend myself against all of them thinking I was lying, on top of what I was going through at the time. Nice. When it showed up in the newspaper six months later, I brought it in to prove I hadn't lied. Then they thought I was trying to get attention. Couldn't win.

Well, I met the third victim, Jane Doe (she didn't want to release her name) through all of this and we became friends, and she has told me that when he is released from prison, they will notify her and she will notify me. I didn't expect to receive a letter from an investigator on his behalf. That gives me the creeps.

It stated in the letter that he doesn't know where I am, but how do I know? The investigator is working on his behalf.
I don't want to help him in any way, but am I bound by law to return this form to the court? If I do, am I helping him?
I am pretty freaked out by this, since I have tried to put it all in the past.
Is he trying to get released from prison and they want the record set straight?
Should I write and try to get involved and explain what DID happen? They apparently cannot get ahold of "Jane", since she did not want to be identified. But I know how to reach her. And if they can't get ahold of her, then how will they notify her when he is released from prison?
Should I call "Jane" and let her know what is going on?

My head is spinning...

3 comments:

glorygrl said...

do not respond, if it makes you feel better, take the letter to the sheriff and have them tell you what to do. If you do file anything with the courts that confirms where you are, and this sounds like harassment. You do not owe them anything.

joannmski said...

I agree with Glorygrl, I think the sherriff should be consulted before you do anything.

Stacia said...

ugh! I just read this. sorry this happened and is now coming up again. I pray it all settles down and hope the guy is still in prison.