Thursday, February 01, 2007

My Mom

Well, this is depressing. I sat down a couple of days ago, to write all about my mom. And I realized I don't know enough to write down anything. I know she was born in Florida, that my Grandma was married to someone I never met before, but I don't know much else. And the only one who knows any of it is my aunt, my mom's sister. I am going to have to talk to her to find out more. But when I realized I don't know much, it made me sad. Because I should know about my own mother, shouldn't I? By the time I was at the point in my life that I wanted to know anything, she was so sick that talking was a struggle for her. It just seemed like everything was so difficult. Her mind was getting very fuzzy. About current things. She would ask the same question five or six times and forget the answer. And if she got something stuck in her head, she wouldn't stop thinking about it. For weeks. She had a something on her ear. I don't remember exactly what it was. But she was worried about it forever! She was so worried about this that she finally went to the doctor and I don't remember what they did about it, but then it wasn't an issue anymore. She thought it was cancer or something. And she didn't want to get cancer! But all the while, when she wasn't worried about dying of cancer, she was praying that the Lord would take her home, because she didn't want to live anymore. She was miserable, not able to do anything, couldn't lift a finger by herself, literally. But she was sure she didn't want to die of cancer! Some things just didn't make sense for the longest time. But talking about her history was not really possible at this point. And I should have made more of an effort to do so, but I didn't. And now I don't know much. That makes me sad. But now I will have to piece this all together. Because there aren't many people left.

And on a lighter note. My mom's mother was Grandma Aurlette. Her husband (the man I always knew as my grandpa) was named Arthur. So, Art and Aurlette. My dad's parents were Oma and Opa. It never occurred to me that these were not their real names. Art and Aurlette were so close, I didn't think Oma and Opa (the German name for Grandma and Grandpa) was too much of a stretch. Didn't know until I was like a teenager that their names were Anna and Joseph!

So, after this baby shower is done, I will have to start doing research on my mom.

5 comments:

celerman said...

you left a comment on rosemary's blog that made me laugh. It seemed to epitomise the senselessness of modern society. Do you thinkl they stopped using lead in bullets because lead might give you blood-poisoning? Surely the lead content is the least of your worries if shot.

Amy said...

Celerman - Ha. That's funny. But probably true. Thanks for the visit!

rosemary said...

I left a really long comment but it has gone poof! I hope you can get started on the mom story...what counts the most is how you felt about her...she was for sure a great woman because you are.

jennie said...

If you can find out more about your Mom jump on the opportunity. Through all the wedding planning I finally sat down and talked to my Mom about her childhood and past experiences and learned a lot that I didn't know. it was nice.
Although, if you can't, cherish the time that you had with her and remember that.

Amy said...

Rosemary - Sorry about your poof. I hate it when that happens. And thank you for the compliment! You are so nice!

Jennie - My aunt is going to write some memories down for me. I should have spoken to my mom so long ago. It's just that she was sick and all the focus was on that for so long. And thank you, I do cherish what time I had with her.