Friday, August 04, 2006

Email from the heart

I just read a story about Joe Dobbie, the guy who sent an email to a woman he met at a party. It was nice, very romantic. Having been the recipient of affections that were not reciprocated and also having been the one to write the love letters, I can understand. When I was a teenager, I was "lovestruck". A boy in my seventh grade class. I thought I was in love. He was very nice. He didn't make fun of the love letters I gave him, and, to my knowledge, he didn't share them with others. It eventually faded out.

About ten years ago, not only did I get the "love letter" from the guy who broke into my apt., but also I went on a blind date with this guy I met through the singles ads. I don't recommend doing this. He unscrewed the lightbulb above the table at Coco's for "ambience". We met at a restaurant at dinner time and he told me he had already eaten. I paid for my food. He didn't offer to. He called me on the phone several times after that. I never saw him again. I never intended to. He has called me on the phone every birthday since then. I have been married for seven years and he even tells me to say hi to my husband. No other calls. Just on my birthday.

Joe Dobbie wrote to a woman he was infatuated with. They talked for a few hours at a party. Did she go home and thank her lucky stars that she didn't give this guy her phone number? Did she go home and laugh? Did she go home and think, well, he was nice, but not my type? Apparently, she thought it was humorous enough to forward to her sister and her sister forwarded it, etc. etc. so many times that the next morning he was getting phone calls from all over the world. The email said that she had a beautiful smile and that he would remember it and would she go out with him? What is so wrong with that? It was nice. A little more revealing about his feelings than most people would admit after first meeting someone, but so what? They were his feelings and he is entitled to them. I don't think the entire world is entitled to read them. Not fair. It is one thing for her to tell her sister about it, it is another to forward the actual email.

He seems like a nice guy. I hope he finds someone nicer than Kate. Now at least, the world knows that there are still nice guys out there who aren't afraid to show their emotions. And I think Kate will have a hard time finding a date now. She seems to be the uncaring soul.

Good luck Joe Dobbie! I hope you find a nice girl.

No comments: